Sunday, June 28, 2009

Jesus Selfishness

Right now I'm fed up to my side burns with selfishness. I was ranting to a friend last night, telling him that I don't know what I'm going to do with my own selfishness. Interestingly enough I had just enough time to turn the OTHER cheek this morning when John Coblentz preached a smashing sermon on selfishness.

After the first few minutes of "smashing" I got lost in my own thought world that I'll try to outline here. It strikes me that religion is VERY selfish. As I study religions it seems to me that most religions are simply organized structures that allow God to better serve the individual. Religion is what channels God's salvation/service to MEEE! It sure does feel good though.(By the way, there is such a thing as hording Jesus wealth AND using that wealth to manipulate and control others)

In the words of some brave heretic(I'm sure he must be in hiding somewhere by now), "the only thing to be feared more than not having religion.....is having religion." May I suggest that Religion cannot replace Community and The Body(Church).

I confess that I'm pretty selfish with MY Jesus. Do I follow Jesus for the return? Sadly, I often find myself following Jesus because of what He can do for ME! Now be advised, I'll share with you what He's done for me. Its kind of like giving you some "hand me down" cloths...I've already worn them and they're too small for me now anyway. But if you think I'll share with you what He hasn't done for me....think again. What would I get out of that...other than a pretty puny looking image.

I'm asking myself a new question that generally sends me into a cold sweat. "Would I continue to follow Jesus if MY Jesus following did absolutely nothing for me.....but everything for everybody else?"

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]