Thursday, June 18, 2009

Community Living

What is Christian living anyway? And is there really any significance in what your doing? My life is like a drop in the ocean when compared to the sea of time, both past and future....how does my life make a difference? We've all asked these questions, but last night I was convicted of asking such a selfish question. Maybe its simply the wrong question.

I was out after dark and I literally stumbled into a large uncut hayfield. The literal stumbling was a result of how dark it was. The sight before me was one like I have never seen before. It had recently stopped raining and apparently the lightning bugs were venturing out of the uncut hay to dry off. Though I DO fish and I DO hunt I don't bow to the Holy Cow, and I am not exaggerating in the least when I tell you there was visible light being shed on the field. It looked like camera flashes at the Espy awards or something. I'm not even sure what the Espy Awards are, but you get the picture:) There must have been thousands upon thousands of lighting bugs lit up at any given moment, though each light would only be lit for a short time. The thousands of winking little lights produced a sight that really cannot be described by words simply because they were winking together.

My life may be a mere wink in the expanse of time; however, when my wink is seen beside your wink, and our winks beside the winks of many others....we create a kind of light that is too beautiful to be described by words. We try with words like: Community, Church, Brotherhood, etc...

It is not enough for you to have your own little personal "Jesus show" going on somewhere. If you can't seem to bring yourself to commit to life in community....maybe your being selfish? Maybe you're too concerned about how YOUR VERY OWN life has significance?

After a congregation of lighting bugs shed some light on my own selfishness, I am no longer asking how MY life is significant. I am now asking how Christ's church and the community of believers can be significant. Furthermore....how can I help THEM be significant?