Sunday, June 14, 2009

A Community of Runners


Is it possibly just a little wee bit ok to be proud of something you've accomplished? At this point, if I were really a "spiritual person" I would tell you how a 10 year prayer was answered or how I've memorized the whole book of Leviticus. I apologize to those of you who might be looking for that kind of spiritual steroid. While such things are fine and dandy, I've now stooped as low as being proud of merely finishing my first marathon. Now to be honest...finishing a marath0n DOES call for a healthy amount of memorization and prayer. After approx. mile 23, you've told yourself, "one more step" so many times that you may very well answer the phone with that phrase the next time somebody calls. Furthermore, by this point you've already spent a considerable amount of time in silent supplication, praying that the individual who marked out the course forgot that there are two numbers between 23 and 26 (I've always heard that there's power in praying after the fact).

Now this marathon is not called "Gods Country Marathon" for nothing (its considered to be within the ten most difficult marathons in N.America). The first 16 miles are a gradual but steady climb followed by an extremely steep two mile climb up the face of a precipice that in Pennsylvania is commonly referred to as a mountain. They offer pick axes and oxygen tanks at the base of the mountain for those who lack the momentum to ramp themselves over the precipice. When you've reached the summit you are at the 18 mile marker. It is now safe to consider yourself at the half way point because the last 8 miles feel more like 30. This is also the point where the prayer and memorization work begins.

After painting such a horrible picture of marathoning, may I assure you that its really not that bad. One of the things I liked best was the community of runners. Everybody pulls for everybody. I heard nothing but encouragement, even from those you are passing. One older experienced marathoner stooped to pace me for a while. Beyond that, its good for the masculine pride and soul to be soundly dusted by several women and old men. I've got to throw out there that I ran with two married guys: my brother Shannon, and Phil Nisley. Married men aren't supposed to be involved in such foolishness, yet Shannon even took the gold among the three of us, finishing about two minutes ahead of myself.

If you're tired of your techno world, and feel like you live light years away from the creation, I promote a little distance running. There's not a lot of engine, metal, and rubber between you and the creation when your running, and its only as hard as walking to your closet and getting your sneakers out....well maybe a little harder than that :)