Saturday, February 27, 2010

Truth and Peace

Someone recently asked me what I think of this quote by JC Ryle.

"Never be guilty of sacrificing any portion of truth on the altar of peace." - JC Ryle.

To be fair, I can't recall the context in which Ryle spoke these words. This was my initial response(with appropriate alterations)....

Hey, at least the credits are right for once. "Chuck" Spurgeon has been cited as the author of this quote when in reality he was quoting our dear brother Ryle.

What is Ryle trying to say? I don't know but there are basically two options.

1. Never be found sacrificing truth for peace (Don't do it)

2. You don't need to feel guilty for doing this ( Do it)

People have generally quoted Ryle in order to support option number 1. In other words, they use this quote to support a doctrinal emphasis. Arguing about various levels of doctrinal interests pretty much seems like a crock of pig Latin to me (Don't email me asking me for my political opinion on doctrine). Hey, who am I...I'm just a servant...go ask the King!

I don't really care which way Ryle meant it to be understood. Either way, Ryle is making a horrendous assumption....he is inadvertently indicating his subconscious belief that Truth may not be Peace....and likewise Peace may not be Truth.

I'm proclaiming from the mountain tops that Jesus IS TRUTH and Jesus is the WAY OF PEACE...peace and truth can't be separated. Thats the "good news" of the gospel. I hate to break it to Ryle, but Truth has lain in bed with Peace. According to the one party(Jesus) they don't seem to be interested in a divorce.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]