Sunday, January 5, 2014

2014: Less Stuff, More Happiness

So in spite of the fact that the weather in my part of the country finds us pining for for electric underwear, hand warmers, and even a single ray of sunshine...yes...in spite  of these facts, we try to turn our frozen sluggish minds out of hibernation and focus on more positive things like a New Year.

Just to make you New Year's Resolutioners have turquoise fuzzy feelings about me, I'm going to get some reflection and projection out of the way.

Reflection:
Another year is gone by and I just had another birthday. I'm stubbornly trying to convince myself that I'm not getting old, but my birthday cards haven't been very consoling. I found this tucked away in one of my cards...it hasn't seemed to help my self esteem.

 


 Projection:
I show this short video clip in my speech class every year. Though I've seen it many times I was impressed in a new way when I showed it to my class several days ago. I'm most impressed with the idea of surrounding yourself with just a few of your most favorite things. Why pick through 20 shirts each day when you'd be most happy simply wearing your 5 favorite ones? I'm committed to getting rid of the extra clutter in my life that I don't need. I'm going to focus on quality rather than quantity. (This is NOT a "New Year's Resolution"...just an inspiration)