Monday, September 21, 2009

Malignant Authority Warp (MAW)



bloop....blooop....SPLASH!!!...Thats the sound of Krriptonite finally coming up for air. The last several weeks have been incredibly busy for me, basically turning into a war of priorities. They tell me that a teacher's ultimate call is to convert his students, so that should certainly rank pretty high on the priority list....as I read my BIBLE, higher than blogging:) Note: Krriptonite remains unbiased and neutral on what they tell him.

After a refreshing weekend with my wonderful youth group, which I will most certainly glorify in this post, I have been made aware of a deadly disease whose symptoms may be difficult to spot. I have diagnosed myself with Malignant Authority Warp (MAW). Though it is entirely possible for this disease to progress all the way to the Rubicon, I yet have high hopes for a speedy recovery. This disease is most certainly contagious and will affect ones eyesight quickly following initial contact.

You may ask how I have come down with such a disease. Allow me to explain in very non-medical terms. Pastors, preachers, and teachers (and the sons and daughters of these positions I may add) are especially susceptible to MAW. It is entirely possible to find yourself in positions of authority over and over again....especially if you are one of those who believe that your view point is authoritative even if others would be as base as to disagree with it. As a teacher, I find myself in this position up to 100% of the time. As a Christian, I also find myself in this position up to 100% of the time.

Why is this disease harmful? If one does not accept treatment for the disease the patient may lose all peripheral vision, developing a severe case of tunnel vision. It is entirely possible for a MAW carrier's perspective on reality to be limited to an authoritarian perspective. Through this lens, all of reality can only be seen as something that needs managed, controlled, taught, caressed, or spanked. May I suggest that this is too Godly for two legged homo-sapiens? As an interesting side note, the tower of Babel was built by MAW carriers.

It was absolutely refreshing to simply be one of the youth this weekend. I didn't need to worry about classroom "MANAGEMENT," "CONTROLLING" some steamy 8th grade attitude, "CARESSING" a stifled ego for giving the answer I wanted, or "TEACHING" the world that they're wrong. For once I wasn't looking down on reality from my warped perch of authority. Rather, I felt like I was part of reality again, and it was a healing balm to watch from that perspective again. God....heal me of Malignant Authority Warp!!!!