Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Gospel Music

I've always been suspicious of much of our gospel music, wondering if there wasn't some telling inherent quality present that could be traced into other genres of music. Why does a diet of gospel music makes me feel like I've just eaten two large bags of jumbo marshmallows? While saying things right, or singing things right I should say, is not all that matters, I have wondered about the methodology found in gospel music. Is "gospel music" really an accurate term for these hymns...or is it simply another juicy conservative term that allows us to work a methodology that really belongs to another genre, even world, into our pristine little hymnbooks?

I don't have answers to these questions, but I have launched out on a personal study, hoping to put to rest my own suspicions. I thought I would share some interesting results of my current study.


If I'm the only one that finds this hilarious...please dont harbor any hard feelings against me. I appreciate the hearts of these people, but honestly...my skin feels like chicken skin after listening to this. Whatever you do....don't watch the drummers face:)


Oh...and pardon me, but....when has country and gospel music lain in the same bed? Hopefully you know who Alan Jackson is...or this wont make any sense to you.


And this beats all...I would suggest not even watching this whole clip...if you see the first 20 seconds you've seen it all....just go trust in Jesus...its a pretty sweet thing to do. I gotta tell ya though...that lady SCARES me!


Carefully read this disclaimer! I DO ENJOY GOSPEL MUSIC IN THE RIGHT PLACE, CONTEXT, AND TIME. I'M OFTEN GAME FOR A ROUSING TUNE OR TWO.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]