Sunday, June 2, 2013

Russian Orthodox Music and Other Bieberish

Leaders that saw their people as an endlessly self replacing commodity....

Wars won by fighting more like ants or locusts than human beings...

Thousands of nameless people like you and I that simply "disappeared" under the Bolsheviks...then Stalin....

Starvation...

Orthodox Russian music bleeds all of this...it makes western pop music seem kind of childish, naive, ignorant, and inexperienced...like a bunch of "bieberish" you might say.

This has been a long time favorite of my family after attending a Russian concert years ago. Its called "The Little Bell." We have ironically turned the little bell into tolling wedding bells. We call it "Peace Prayer" and sing it as a blessing of Love at weddings. No disrespect to those who have sung the solos from Peace Prayer...I myself have been one of those soloists that have committed musical rape here...but the sound of Kremlin Capella is forever more in my head....

"Monotonously the little bell is sounding,
and the dust on the way is stirred up a bit,
and sadly over the plain field
flows the song of my coachman.


There was so much feeling in this song,
so much feeling in the familiar tune,
that in my cool breast
my heart inflamed. 


And I recalled other nights,
and the fields, and the woods of my home,
and into my eyes which had been dry so long
a tear rose like a spark. 


 Monotonously the little bell is sounding,
slightly echoing from afar,
and my coachman fell silent, but the way
in front of me is still so long, so long."
 

 
 



 


And who says high school choirs can't sing? Finally someone sings "Set Down Servant" authentically slow enough...