Thursday, March 15, 2012

Photo Blog:Livin' Off the Land

Without getting into the philosophy/theology behind this statement, I believe the Christian is a person who undoubtedly takes special care of the earth and lives in a sustainable way from the gifts that the earth gives.(Hearken back to my Feb 19 post)

I will go so far as to say that I am loving those Saudi teenagers (that you don't give two hoots about) by living a life that demands less oil. If I understand things correctly the world (basically meaning china and the USA) demands 9,000,000 barrels of oil from Saudi Arabia every year. In a few years this demand is expected to be 15,000,000 barrels. That is what Saudi teenagers have to look forward to. Forget dreams of being a doctor...we will demand that they enter the oil industry.

So...of course, you could find inconsistancies in our lives, but we try. The grand thing is that we've been having a flumin lot of fun trying.


That be corn...need I say more.



I kept shooting deer with my bow this year...so we kept making bologna




Andrew and I's latest project has been maple syrup. We built this rig one Saturday, and we've been playing with it ever since.



We often find ourselves boiling at night since we teach during the day. There's lots of time to chitter with each other, sip coffee, and read when you boil.



I even got my students in on boiling one day.



The downside of making maple syrup...your looking at a pregnant 2 hours of work in this picture (I might be embellishing the truth just a tad). On the other hand, the stuff sales for close to $10 a pint.